Baylor Massacre

  1. Summary
  2. The Discovery
  3. Historical Background
  The following was taken from "The Massacre of Baylor's Dragoons" A Report to the Board of Chosen Freeholders, Bergen County, New Jersey, which was published in February 1968, Revised in August 1969 and reprinted in October, 1972, and tells the story of the massacre of Col. George Baylor's Dragoons in 1778 and of the discovery in 1967 of the skeletons of some of the members of that regiment of the Continental Army.

    There is, however, more to the story for, in 1972, the Baylor Massacre site was transformed into a wayside park.  The Board of Chosen Freeholders of Bergen County saved the historic spot from obliteration by a builder's bulldozers by purchasing the land and financing work by the Bergen County Park Commission to establish the county's 22nd park: "Bergen County Park - Baylor Massacre Burial Site."

   The park project has been one of cooperation between government and the private sector.  The Bergen County Historical Society gave freely of its advice in the planning stages and donated the historic sites marker for the park.  The Daughters of the American Revolution, David Demarest Chapter - River Edge, donated the plaque which marks the actual burial site.  American Legion Post #477, River Vale, donated the flag that was raised at the dedication ceremonies on October 15, 1972.

   Standing at the center of the park is the famous millstone from the Haring farm - moved first to the Holdrum School in River Vale and loaned by the school to the county in 1972 to become part of the historic site.

   All that had remained was to overcome certain legal obstacles to allow the bones of the Baylor Dragoons to be re-interred at the burial site, that they may rest in the serenity of the park which commemorates their sacrifice in the American Revolution.

Freeholder Henry Hoebel, Chairman 
Parks, Recreation and Planning Committee 
October 1972.